Graduate Selection Report
Graduate Screening Solutions
Talent Management > Identify > Graduate Recruitment > Screening Solutions
Addressing the Graduate Recruitment challenge
Our psychologists develop expert candidate screening systems that are crafted with our psychometric testing and selection knowledge but made for your use and ownership.
Psych Press has seen all kinds of challenges, therefore we can alter the time spent on your project (quickly: 2 weeks, up to longer: 12 weeks). However in all of our solutions we strive to achieve 2 main outcomes:
- Spend less time and money on graduate recruitment in the long term
- Achieve cost leadership
- Gain the use of consistent decisions across divisions / states
- Performance/ Turnover metrics can be matched with quantitative data – more accurately predicted productivity and tenure of future graduate hires
- Stronger accuracy and control of graduate recruitment decisions
- Gain a sustainable competitive advantage; when ongoing objective data is used to monitor selection criteria against performance
- Build intellectual property for later use even when staff situations change
- Expect sales and revenue increase with better employees
At the end of the online short-listing process managers will have:
- A pre-qualified shortlist assessed independently against selection criteria and competencies
- Accurate results from a fair, reliable and valid system consistent with goals
- A list that is intended to add to, not necessarily replace an interview
- Enough information to further provide a sound recruitment decision
Greater Number of Applicants to Choose From
Depending on how the link to the screening solution is presented, advertised or promoted, you can dramatically increase the applicant pool. Applicants can respond to a graduate recruitment program or a standing invitation to apply via your web site or specific advertising around advertised vacancies. The financial benefits are measured in terms of the savings on advertised recruitment.
Time Saving and Opportunity Cost
Over different time periods, applications can prove to be very time-consuming to manage, especially if the initial screening process is via telephone interviewing, brief face-to-face interviewing or résumé reading. Leaving aside the issue of accuracy or predictive validity of these methods (which research tells us is very low) the result may be that managers and HR staff are "tied up" in an unending stream of operational issues, with little time to add value at a more strategic level. A screening solution removes cost and gives the organisation and hiring staff time to move the focus from operational to strategic issues.
Adding to and not replacing current processes
A screening system is not intended to replace the appropriate assessment of a shortlist, including interviews, but rather to enable interviews to be conducted with individuals who have already been identified as "high potential". Through this process the "cost of hire" financial metrics are greatly reduced.
Reducing both Cost of Hire and Time to Hire
In a competitive market, time to hire is a critical metric. Undoubtedly the applicant that has applied to your graduate recruitment division has also applied to others. In this context it is simply a race to present to the most suitable applicants a value proposition before competitors do. Reading through a pile of résumés of uncertain veracity is a time-consuming method and one that is unlikely to win this particular race.
Quality of hire is the final critical metric. This requires both data and judgment. Whilst there is no intention of automating a selection process on the basis of a screening tool, the comparative quantitative and qualitative data it produces provide quality information and also "hazard warnings" to the organisation which must exercise a judgment call as to whether to hire or not to hire. Using an automotive example, no one would believe decisions as to how to move through an uncontrolled intersection should be made by dashboard instruments. However, it is nevertheless helpful if the driver is informed about what speed he is doing, if his indicator is functioning and whether the headlights are on or off.
However, the more important issue is the improvement of the selection process over time. The screening system discussed, plus any more advanced assessments desired to be incorporated at the shortlist stage, will provide important data to assess and improve the system over time. The selected employee will either perform to the required standard, or not. Over time the various measures used in the screening process can be statistically analysed to provide a recruitment "recipe".
- Psych Press’ will deliver a competency-based and objective screening system to your business divisions. The system provides quantitative results which can be analysed against business metrics shown in this overview.
- This system forms the ongoing intellectual property of your business and is designed to be changed in the future if needed. Therefore a sustainable competitive advantage is made more secure and visible against competitors.