Abstract Reasoning Tests
Talent Management > Identify > Psychometric Testing > Abstract Reasoning Tests
Abstract reasoning tests can support a business capability to:
- Improve performance
- Reduce ‘bad hire’ risks
- Minimise your exposure to discrimination suits
- Identify potential talent
- Avoid cultural biases
- Increase HR return on investment
What can you infer from individuals’ Abstract Reasoning Test result?
Abstract reasoning tests measure individuals’ fluid intelligence which is associated with:
- The ability to quickly solve problems,
- The ability to quickly learn new skills and information
- The ability to grasp the ‘bigger picture’
- The ability to manage ambiguous situations
How can an Abstract Reasoning Tests support your business?
Abstract reasoning tests assist in improving performance
The abstract reasoning test results will inform you of an individual’s ability to quickly solve problems, understand the critical issues in an ambiguous or strategic environment, grasp the ‘bigger picture’, and rapidly learn new skills. All these qualities are crucial in improving business performance.
Abstract reasoning tests reduce ‘bad-hire’ risks
The abstract reasoning test is a scientific and objective measurement of individuals’ suitability to perform job related tasks. The abstract reasoning test minimises the bias that resumes and job interviews create. Resumes and job interviews are poor predictors of job performance, as both approaches are based on individuals’ capability to sell themselves rather their ability to perform the required job responsibilities.
Abstract reasoning tests minimise your exposure to discrimination suits
Using the abstract reasoning test - which is an objective, scientific, and “culture fair” method of assessing applicants - ensures against claims of bias or discrimination during the selection process. The abstract reasoning test can be linked to most job performance criteria.
Abstract reasoning tests assist in identifying potential talent
The abstract reasoning test measures individuals’ fluid intelligence, which is related to the ability to quickly solve problems and learn new skills. These qualities are best measured using an abstract reasoning test and the results will assist you to identify capable staff who can be promoted and groomed for higher level jobs or to become future leaders within the organisation.
Avoid cultural biases
The abstract reasoning test is culturally fair and uses diagrammatic images. Hence, the abstract reasoning test is independent of cultural or educational background.
Abstract Reasoning Test levels and norms
Abstract reasoning tests can typically be grouped into several categories. Each category has a unique set of questions designed to match a job’s level of difficulty and complexity.
Category 1: Abstract reasoning for entry level roles
Category 2: Abstract reasoning for the general population
Category 3: Abstract reasoning for graduate level & management roles
Category 4: Abstract reasoning for professional roles
Abstract Reasoning Test measures fluid intelligence
Fluid intelligence was first proposed by the psychologist Raymond Cattell and later developed further by John Horn. The Cattell-Horn theory suggests that intelligence is composed of several different abilities that determine general intelligence. Cattell defines fluid intelligence as “…the ability to perceive relationships independent of previous specific practice or instruction concerning those relationships”. In other words, fluid intelligence is the ability to make inferences and understand relationships between various concepts without prior knowledge. Hence, fluid intelligence is essential for problem solving and learning abilities.
Popular Abstract Reasoning Tests
- PFS – Abstract reasoning test series (level 1 – 4)
- PP AR – Abstract reasoning test series
How can a candidate be set up to complete an Abstract Reasoning Test?
- Contact Psych Press’ consultant psychologists to let them know the individual’s name and the relevant the abstract reasoning test level (or category)
- The individual will be set up within minutes and an email invitation page will be sent to either the individual or you. The invitation page includes a unique access code and instructions on how to complete the abstract reasoning test online.
- Upon test completion a report will be generated and emailed to you.
- You can always register to our automated ordering system and have a 24/7 access to set tests up and get immediate updates and reports.
How does a typical Abstract Reasoning question look like?
Example question (click to enlarge):
Learn more about the abstract reasoning test
To learn more or further discuss your needs, please contact one of our consultant psychologists.